The world is on the brink of something historic. A once in a generation setting of global goals for the future of our people and planet. They could bring an end to extreme poverty, an end to soaring inequality and the protection of people and planet from deadly climate change.
Everyone in the world needs to know about them, and every leader needs to feel our pressure. A tidal wave of humanity - demanding they become real.
On the 24th September, the night before the goals are announced and Pope Francis speaks to the UN, thousands of people around the world will stand together UNDER ONE SKY to LIGHT THE WAY to a better world. Join us and shine a light on the commitments about to be made so that the world knows about them and every world leader knows that we’ll be watching every step of the way to ensure they are met.
Thank you for signing for updates on the vigils. We'll be in touch soon.
In the meantime please SHARE this page with friends and family.
The more of us that take part - the louder we will be, and the harder to ignore.
Even if there isn't a vigil near you, you can still take part at home by organising your own pop-up vigil on your own, or with friends and family with these easy steps!
1. Decide a time for your vigil on the 24th and if you’re going to invite other people, let them know as soon as possible, so it’s in their diaries.
2. Gather the things you need in advance - candles, lanterns, or solar lights, as well as prayers or songs for the vigil. We’ve put together this resource to guide you
3. Set the scene - on the evening of your vigil find a place that’s quiet and meaningful to you, turn down the lights, light your candles or turn on your lanterns, torches or solar lights.
4. During the vigil - we’ve written this sample order of events, but you can change it to whatever you think is right. The vigil could be only a few minutes or last through the whole night! We’ll be with you in spirit through the night at the vigil outside the UN.
5. Share images and videos of your vigil using the hashtag #LightTheWay and tag @ourvoices2015 or @fastforclimate on Twitter if you’d like to us retweet your photos.
On the 25th of September, Pope Francis will be addressing world leaders, speaking to the UN General Assembley in New York.
He will be calling on world leaders to be brave and just, to make bold steps to build a better future that we know is possible.
Our vigils will make this clear the night before - and then Pope Francis will carry our message of hope and expectation into the UN.
We've put these resources together to help you organise your own vigils: